20th October

Levitation

This week, I learned how to create a image where you make the object or object float in the picture. I done this by taking a picture of the background first, then of the subject. Making sure that with both pictures line up correctly. Then cutting out the subject from the photo to make a new layer and making it. By doing this, I can get rid of what ever the subject was sitting on, as in both pictures below.

levitation2.png.levitation.png

The second photo didn’t work as well as the first as the subject had their feet out of the shot, meaning that the illusion wouldn’t work well. Also that she was in a generic sitting position, meaning that it wouldn’t pass off as floating as it needs to be impossible. Which is shown in the first picture as it was my second attempt of creating a levitation photo. with was better as the subject was fully in the shot and is positioned in a way that it wouldn’t be possible. With the second image, there is lens glare, which would ruin a photo. If I am doing another outside photo, I would need to make sure that the camera is facing away from the sun to avoid the glare, or have a lens hood. I didn’t have a problem with this in the first image as it was taken inside.

Film Cameras

We also learned how to use old cameras that use film rolls. I learned how to place the roll of film into the camera, which was easier to do then I thought. We had to take pictures of anything that resembled the alphabet that I found a little difficult as I couldn’t find certain letters around the college. But I managed to get through the whole alphabet with extra film, which I just shot random images to use it up.

Then, we were shown how to put the film into the developing tub before doing it ourselves. It sounds easy, but the catch was that we had to do this in complete darkness. Which was a challenge as I couldn’t see what I was picking up or where the stuff was. Opening the canister to get the film was difficult, as it was sealed tight. But the hardest part was trying to get the film into the reel, I couldn’t find the end to put the film into.

Once we got the film into the tub, we had to develop it. Firstly by washing it and pouring developer into it and let it sit for seven and a half minutes, making sure to shake it each minute. Then rinsing it again in water for ten minutes before pouring fixer into it and waiting for five minutes. By this time, the film would be able to be taken out of the reel to dry.

Advertisements

13th October

Double Exposure

So, this week I used photoshop for the first time. This was for double exposure, where you combine two images together to create one photo. Because I have never used photoshop before, I found it challenging. The two videos that is on moodle I believe didn’t help as much as I found them confusing (they didn’t really point out where each tool was). I kept restarting as I kept going wrong, resulting in me being frustrated at my limited knowledge of photoshop.

Because of this, I had to ask a fellow classmate for help as they already finished their double exposure image. I found this more helpful as they clearly shown me how to use it.

This is the first image that I had help on.

double-exposure-1

You can see that the two images are of my friend and of a tree, edited together to make it look like that she has a tree growing out of her head. It still not perfect as the image of the tree still has the white background between the leaves as well as around the shoulders, where I hadn’t edited out.

double-exposure-2

This photo I did mostly on my own, still getting help from my friend when I needed it. It didn’t go as I wanted it to. It may be because of the gap in the tree that I placed over the eye, as that detracts from the double exposure. Compared to the first image, the double exposure isn’t as noticeable. Next time when I make double exposure images, I’ll choose portrait photos that isn’t face on and instead have a side profile of the person’s head. As that was easier to do.

 

Creative blurring

We had also done Creative blurring, where the shutter speed is low and you have to move the camera in either a diagonal or horizontal line. This create an effect where the object is blurred into a straight line. Mostly used for car lights on the motorway to  create a busy road.

dscf1008

This is one of the first attempts of creating creative blurring. I found it difficult as I couldn’t create it, and only shooting perfect photos. With this photo, you can tell there is some blurring, but not enough. I feel that I either need to turn my camera faster or to lower the f. stop if it is too high.

 

Negatives

In the darkroom, we learned how to change a negative image into a positive one. This is done by placing a negative image (which is either from the light sensitive paper or a inverted printed photo) onto a clean sheet of light sensitive paper and putting light on to it. By doing this, the light hits an area of the paper that is not black and vice versa, resulting in creating a positive image. I experimented on how long it had to be under the light and the best results were around 3-4 seconds. I also experimented on a double sided inverted paper, where there was an image on either side that was inverted. The result was that the image that was face down showed up more then the image facing up, which just about showed up. This may because the image face down was darker, cancelling out the other image as it was light. So if I do this again, I might used images that have the same amount of light in each image.

I did something like this a few weeks ago with my pin hole images

dscf0884