shooting in the studio
this week, I have been shooting for What’s the Story. I continued with stop motion to see if I could improve with it. This time I didn’t use the figure I used last time as that was too stiff in the joints and the motion didn’t look as realistic as I wanted it. I instead used two of my own lego figurines as they had movable joints which could be removed and put back. also with the figurines I used, I could position them how I
wanted them as they weren’t fixed on a stand. Because of this, I had a lot of freedom to what I wanted to do.
with this, I made a test with the figurines to make them look like they were fighting each other, with one of them falling off the platform. with the lighting, I had a spot light aimed at the figures at first. but Unfortunately, with the position of it, only one of them were lit up resulting in the other being in the shadows. because of this, I used another light to illuminate the other side for both the figures to be seen in the photo
At this time, I haven’t made the photos into a short film yet. but when I was reviewing them, I noticed that some of the images may not line up with the previous image before them resulting in the motion looking a little jerky. but I won’t know for sure until I have made it. this might be because of some of the problems I had encounted while doing this. I had used blu-tack on the feet to keep the in place, but unfortunately, when I positioned the figures in a certain way they kept on falling down. this might be because the blu-tack couldn’t hold the weight because I used a little or might be because it went into the holes on the underside of the foot. I tried to stablaise it by putting more blu-tack on the side of the foot away from the camera, but that didn’t work. So I in
stead positioned one of the figures so that they could stand without assistance. with the other, I had to hold it as I wanted it to look like it was falling off the platform but that was fine as most of it was out of the frame anyway.
new project this term. this time the photography will be narrative. on Thursday, we had to pair up and plan a series of images that depict a narrative. me and Kim planned out that at the beginning image will be black and white with only one person in the image. this was to show that the subject was sad and lonely. the next two show another person entering the frame, with this one on colour to depict happiness, holding a balloon. the balloon deflates over the sad person, slowly giving back their colour and to the background. this was done with photoshop, to brighten each image more then the previous one and to mask the images to create the stand alone colour subject that is holding the balloon. the photo shown is the plan me and Kim made to work out what we wanted to do. in it, we originally wanted the two subjects to be seated and to use one of the picnic tables outside, but we decided no to as we were not sure if the doors were locked. also as well if the camera would pick the subjects up well due to the width of the table. so instead we shot it in the hallway, with the subjects standing instead of sitting.
Front and rear curtain flash
today, we learned about front and rear curtain flash. which is for front curtain flash the flash fires at the start of the exposure and for rear curtain flash, it fires at the end of the exposure. they can also be called 1st and 2nd curtain sync. this creates a blur going outwards of the subject as they are moving. the blur moves behind them if it is a front curtain flash and the subject moves into the blur if it is a rear curtain flash. the pictures shown are what both front and rear curtain flashes look like once the photo had been taken. the rear flash curtain looks more natural as the blur effect is behind the character then when it is in front of them, making it look like the character is running at a fast speed.
the photo on the right shows my attempt at creating the rear curtain flash technique. I think with this, I need a bit more practice on and to clearly tell the subject to move more as the movement they did wasn’t really enough to create the blur trail left behind.